Friday 28 August 2009

Nonconformist - noun [C] - someone who lives and thinks in a way which is different from other peopleI


I'm all for rules and regulations, don't get me wrong - society would slip into chaos and anarchy if it were not for the laws and morals of our land. And it is only right that such laws, rules and regulations should be brought into being in a fair and democratic way.

But deep down I am a bit of a nonconformest and pedantic about silly wee rules which seem totally uneccessary. An example, which I should probably not be harping on about in the public domain, came about yesterday when I got into work. My job, as I see it, is to build up a relationship of trust and understanding with the folks who use our service, and the best way for me to do this is to just make them a cuppa and sit and chat with them. Sounds like a cushy job, eh?!

So, folk began to trickle into the office last night and I stuck the kettle on. Yes, they have a tea making point in the room they use for the computer and TV, but I'm a polite Highland lass who was raised to put the kettle on as soon as a visitor arrived! There was no 'Ye'll have had your tea then!' in our house! I opened the cupboard .... and was horrified to see 2 coffee jars with white, handwritten labels on them. One was a cheaper supermarket own brand coffee - it had Service Users written on it. The other was Nescafe Gold Blend (other quality coffee brands are available!) and had Staff written on it. You can probably hazard a gues as to how conforming I was making coffee for everyone last night!

Our company really knows how to valued the individuals it provides a service to. Or am I just getting a bee in my bonnet over a trivial matter?

Oh, and if I get sacked for blogging this, will someone else employ me ... pretty please??

8 comments:

Citril said...

Oh, and to make matters worse, for me at least, the mugs had been removed from the resident's lounge and replaced with disposable cups!!

Sorry .. did I not get the memo saying that we no longer worked with capable adults!?

dancerjen said...

Ah bless hon. C'est la vie. I guess the powers that be are assuming that residents will walk off with mugs, so it's not worth it. But yeh, one coffee for them and one for us? That's silly. Buy in bulk and get something decent for far cheaper, not nescafe!!

josh said...

What was it, "Separate but equal?"Pure nonsense anyway, I hope you all enjoyed a nice cup of the good stuff.

After the whole "We're drinking the conservative kool aid on this point" nonsense on my FB my dander is well and truly up. I hope you put the clients names on the good mugs.

Gail Is This Mutton? said...

It's a pity because nice little touches like a decent cup of coffee can make all the difference to how you perceive a business and the likelihood of going back to them. So you're right to be disappointed.

Anonymous said...

think you were totally right! It's just a common courtesy surely to only give others something you'd like to recieve? I'd switch the labels if I were you & see who notices ;-)

kyooty said...

are you kidding me? that's just plain ridiculous. remind me never to go "there" :0

Citril said...

It is so frustrating, because we are a Christian organisation providing support to vulnerable adults. It's the wee things, though, that can indicate the true ethos of individuals working in an organisation.

I was thinking about switching the coffees!! But methinks I am skating close to the edge as it is .... watch this space for the P45 post! lol

Thank you for your support dear blogging buddies!

kyooty said...

pssssst you know we're still following right?