Wednesday 24 June 2009

There, but for the grace of God, go I


I am blessed. No ... really ... I am!

I have fantastic parents and siblings ... a lovely extended family ... a dear man who, after some arm twisting (just joking, darling!), married me ... two incredibly beautiful and bright daughters ... and some very genuine friends. All of which makes my life feel full and so complete.

And then there is my work.

When I moved away from Oban in 1994, it was to work as a dental nurse, but, after 8 years working in a great practice, I took bad to the new boss and working environment. So, despite my lack of qualifications, I applied for a job in an alcohol rehabilitation unit, and was over the moon to be offered the post. I've been all round the houses, in the job's sense and in my personal life, since I left the rehab in 1999, but it was to that client group, the one I most felt at home with that I returned to a couple of months into my pregnancy with Niamh. After over a year as a relief member of staff, working in both Beechwood House in the Designated Place (where individuals are brought in intoxicated) and in Cale House, the supported accommodation (14 single and double flats for men and women who were previously homeless). In April I was given a permanent contract for Cale House - it breaks my heart being away from the girls, but I do enjoy my job and feel I can at least attempt to make a difference.

This evening I watched a programme, 'Famous, Rich and Homeless' on BBC1. 5 famous folk volunteer to swap their life of priveladge and comfort for the world of the homeless individual. Tennis star Annabel Croft, comedian and writer Hardeep Singh Kohli, journalist and writer Rosie Boycott, actor Bruce Jones and the Marquis of Blandford all took part, though the Marquis didn't once sleep rough and gave up - his attitude, quite frankly, was disgusting and downright disrespectful to the men and women who have to live their life in this way.

Let me tell you about them. I have changed names and circumstances to protect confidentiality.

Spence grew up in Glasgow, his parents were alcoholics, his father abused him and he'd been on the streets for 16 years when I met him. He was intelligent, artistic, creative ... he couldn't sleep in a bed and moved his bedclothes to the corner of his room to sleep. He was a great conversationalist, and made a real impression on all who met him. He couldn't cope with living in a 'normal' home and in the end opted to go back to sleeping rough.

Gina came from a respectable, well-to-do family, but ran with a wild crowd and left home at 16. Her family were distraught but unable to reach her. She was a bright woman, caring, thoughtful with a brilliant sense of humour! When I met her she had come from an abusive relationship and her 3 young children were in care. She refused contact with her family initially but eventually built bridges with them and her children, regaining her confidence and self esteem.

Kenny came from a close knit family, and had a delightful elderly mother who still tried to keep tabs on him. He drank heavily and smoked weed, we never did reach the bottom of his reasons. He was a lovely guy, though had an air of saddness about him, but he suffered dreadful paranoia and hallucinations because he smoked so much cannabis. He died an early death.

I could tell you about so many more. Each with their own story to tell as to how they ended up homeless. When I sit with them, chat with them, I see you, I see me - any one of us could hit a point in our lives where for one reason or another we could hit rock bottom and lose all that we previously had.

Let me ask you something. How often do you see a begger on the street and avoid eye contact, walk briskley by and pray they don't speak to you? I know I have. And that ashames me.

I wonder when our society will get a grip and finally decide to address the issues that lead to these men and women seeing no way out but to live rough, to turn to drink or drugs just to get themselves through each moment of each day? Society forgets that everyone, regardless of environment or home circumstances, has dreams, needs, wants, hopes and aspirations. Society likes to pigeon hole everyone.

Anyhoo, the next time you see someone begging on the street, please take 5 minutes out of your busy day to buy them a sandwich or a cuppa. I'm not saying that your wee act of kindness will always be met with gratitude, but you never know the day that your smile, your kind word will be the saving grace to that man or that woman.

3 comments:

fredy said...

you are blessed :)

kyooty said...

You are very truly blessed in so many ways.

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Found you from Twitter. Isn't Twitter grand? People always expect the homeless to gush all over when they give them a few coins, or a coupon for food. You make a good point, give because it's the right thing to do and nothing more. I support the local foodbank, which is quite overwhelmed these days.